Sunday, August 31, 2008

A weed is no more than a flower in disguise. - James Russell Lowell (1819-1891)

We were unable to go to church today. Our church is an old school and the sanctuary is on the 2nd floor. There is no elevator. There is a chair lift, but he absolutely refuses to even consider taking it, and he can't walk that many stairs yet - so - we decided to try for next week. We have really missed not going to church, and look forward to seeing our church friends again, too. I did tackle the weeds today, and got rid of most of them. I left the corn there, however - it is kind of interesting to have that one corn plant in the middle of my flower garden! It was a beautiful day - probably about 80 degrees, with a breeze. I wish we could have about 3 more months of weather just like this. Then we went to the Blue Dolphin for lunch, and went to k-mart to buy butch new pajamas - his old ones are too big - he waited in the car while I went in. Last, we drove to the Carvel's on Riverside Drive so that he could have an old fashioned strawberry milkshake - nobody makes them the way he likes them anymore - we tried Pat Mitchell's the other day, and he said "thumbs down"! He liked the one from Carvel's, but - I ordered the milkshake for him and a small cherry vanilla cone for me - $6.70!! That is amazing to me. Coming home, we saw a flock of geese - heading south in that old, familiar pattern - it kind of shocked me - we sort of missed summer and are skipping right to fall!

Tomorrow we are having a Labor Day picnic at Mom & Dad's. I am looking forward to a swim in the pool - I have only gone swimming a couple of times this summer. Butch can rest in the shade in the recliner and watch us swim. I am going to make ham and scalloped potatoes in a few minutes to take over there tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you couldn't make it to Church; I know how you have missed it -- hopefully next week. It's interesting how all morning long I was thinking how good it was that you were home and could go to your own Church. Poop.

Ever notice the irony of Aunt Rick and Uncle Norms address - as many times as I've been there, didn't realize it was Edson Ave.

Take lots of pictures tomorrow; give everyone my love and enjoy the day and sunshine.

Love, Sharan

Anonymous said...

Sharab, Aunt Rick and Uncle Norm's address is "Edson Road". They live in the country, remember?

I thought Butch looked pretty good for all he's gone through. It seemed so good to have him with us though. I went in the house just to look at him again to make sure he as there. We missed him (and our Joyce, of course).

Alex's birthday - slide show